Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Quick Tostadas

Running food: As we’ve discussed before, we want to eat a lot so we’re never hungry, but we want to eat low-fat.

The only way to lose weight, or keep weight off, is to burn more calories than you consume. That’s it.

If I eat 5,000 calories a day, but only burn 4,000, I’m going to gain weight. If I start running and burning 5,200 calories a day—I’ll lose weight.

However...If I start running and then increase my eating because I think I’m “safe” from all the exercise, I could end up eating 7,000 calories and only burning 5,200!

The trick is to eat lots of low-fat, high-fiber, healthy foods. Baked chips instead of fried. Rice and beans. Baked tofu instead of deep-fried chicken. Oatmeal instead of fatty, sugary mega-muffins.

Check out Dr. McDougall’s website for tons of recipes (look under the newsletter link).

Here’s one of my favorite work snacks:

Buy one package of fresh, soft corn tortillas (not the crispy fried ones!).
One can of vegan fat-free refried beans (most of them are naturally veg and fat-free).
One jar of your favorite salsa.

Plop a big spoonful of beans onto the tortillas. Spread evenly. Top with another tortilla. Microwave for 1 minute. Top with your salsa and eat. That’s it!

If you’re feeling like a chef, add shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and/or whole beans. Add vegan ground “beef” or vegan “chicken” strips if you like that sort of thing.

Sometimes I’ll eat 4 of these in a day, but I never worry about the fat or calories. They leave me so full I’m not even tempted by the bag of greasy chips sitting on the office kitchen table.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment